This week, we have an analysis of the Magic Mike movies, a reflective piece on film’s power to bring people together, and an unbelievable story of an actress, her director ex-husband, and the extreme measures of their most powerful fan.
- Crime author Megan Abbott wrote about how watching the movie Calvary revived the bond she grew up sharing with her mother over films that moved them emotionally.
- A This American Life episode tells the story of a South Korean film star and her ex-husband, both kidnapped by Kim Jong Il and forced to work together to create good North Korean movies.
- Pixar is known for its company branded easter eggs, but they also reference films outside of the Pixar world.
- In his video essay, Josh Lewis explores the cinematic communication of the opposing themes in Magic Mike and Magic Mike XXL, with the first film exploring the ruin of the American Dream and the second offering a more joyful, optimistic insistence towards its repair.
- Kristian Williams explains the reasoning behind the design elements in the original comics iteration of X-Men and why the films have stumbled as an adaptation.
That’s it for this week, folks. Check back next Monday for more of the best movie stuff from the rest of the Internet!
Featured Image: Warner Bros. Pictures