BOX OFFICE ROUNDUP
Are you ready kids!? American Sniper sure wasn’t as The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water crushed the Oscar nominated film at the box office this week, opening at a hefty $56,000,000. American Sniper still held firm but only managed to land in second place with $24,165,000. Jupiter Ascending did not ascend to the challenge (every report must use “ascend” or “descend” when discussing JA) making a meager $19,000,000 opening weekend. Seventh Son made $7,101,000 in its inaugural weekend, making approximately six million more dollars than I anticipated. Paddington continues to charm the hearts and minds of audiences everywhere by pulling $5,365,000 and claiming the #5 spot.
Woah… Movies.com is reporting the almost-best action movie of 2014, John Wick, is getting a damn sequel. This proves the reality of God or a higher power existing is more than likely, but also that Keanu Reeves may get the franchise he deserves. Richard wrote a great piece on reconsidering the general stance on the Matrix sequels. I still need to give it another shot, but Reeves deserved his own big action franchise back then, and he still deserves it now. Variety reports there is also talk from the CEO of Lionsgate as seeing this as a “multiple-title action franchise.”
In news that is probably the best thing you’ll hear in your life, Variety says Keanu Reeves also joined the cast of Nicholas Winding Refn’s upcoming project Neon Demon. In addition to Reeves joining the picture, Christina Hendricks, Abbey Lee, Bella Heathcote, and Jenna Malone have also joined the film.
NEWS ROUNDUP: MORE HUNGER GAMES, STAR WARS, STAR TREK, AND… NEIGHBORS?
- Do you like The Hunger Games? Well, you better since Deadline reports Lionsgate thinks it’s a good idea for them to explore the world of Panem from outside the view of Katniss. It isn’t a good idea but that won’t stop them from convincing themselves it is.
- Star Wars 7 is shaping up to be something special. Even if it fails, it’ll fail in a special way. One of the big complaints pre-shooting was the lack of women being cast in the film. Pretty valid considering there was only one main cast member announced. JJ Abrams and company fixed that little tidbit, and now the rest of the franchise is following suit. THR is reporting Felicity Jones is in talks to star in the first spin-off (the one presumably about bounty hunters or something?). Jones is talented and gorgeous so this seems like a right choice to put her in a Star Wars movie. Additional casting news from Making Star Wars has Doomhall Gleeson’s role revealed in the film as Luke Skywalker’s son. The character will be riding a moral tightrope of sorts. For info some may deem spoilerish, check out the link above.
- Movies.com reports Neighbors 2 is following in the foot steps of John Wick to become a multiple-title action franchise. That’s not true at all. What is true is the film’s plot will focus on a sorority movie in next door to Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne, who recruit Zac Efron to quell the drama.
- Star Trek 3 beamed up Scotty (Simon Pegg) to come up with a brand new script and Justin Lin to direct. Whereas everything seemed to be falling apart with Orci’s involvement, the new direction seems to be blossoming. The Film Divider reports not only will an actor with Bryan Cranston-like abilities be sought for the villain role, Cranston may even be in the movie! On top of that, Star Trek 3 promises to introduce 3 main female characters: a female captain who is a mirror of Kirk, the President of the United Federation of Planets, and Bones’ ex-wife. Get hyped.
- Just when you thought we weren’t getting any superhero news this week: Angelina is supposedly being courted to direct Captain Marvel. Awesome news, right? The only point of concern is the report is from OK! Magazine. Remain skeptically optimistic on this one.
TRAILER OF THE WEEK
I may be the only person in the world who put Only God Forgives on my top 10 movies of 2013. What others saw as dull and dreadful, I found similar to a nightmare of neon-infused violence. Gosling’s directorial debut The Lost River seems to follow in the footsteps of his time spent with Nicholas Winding Refn. Everything will probably be painted in metaphor. Who needs mass audience approval when there’s this much stylistic endeavor present? Don’t get me wrong, this movie needs to tell a story of some kind. I find this trailer incomprehensible but beautiful all the same. I hope Gosling knocks this out of the park.
TWEETS OF THE WEEK
“Why isn’t every movie JOHN WICK?” Something my wife said, before I melted the entire universe and reformed it into a monument to her.
— Peter S. Hall (@PeterSHall) February 8, 2015
“We see John Wick as a multiple-title action franchise,” says Lionsgate CEO. pic.twitter.com/vpPb726Gjm
— The Film Stage (@TheFilmStage) February 6, 2015
— Josh Rosenfield (@JoshRosenfield) February 4, 2015
HONOR THE MANN HONOR THE FILM pic.twitter.com/CGDhmlhwRM
— Danny Bowes (@bybowes) February 4, 2015
i hope JOHN WICK 2 opens with his new dog dying from cancer, and then he goes on a quest to brutally murder cancer.
— josh lewis (@thejoshl) February 3, 2015
i want to know more about the relationship between reese witherspoon and her cool daughter pic.twitter.com/oIE9IH2vr2
— LW (@lindseyweber) February 5, 2015
Are we allowed to call in “Magic Mike 2” trailer to work today?
— Amy Schumer (@amyschumer) February 4, 2015
There are no stupid questions. Other than asking where Quill got the AA batteries for his Walkman.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) February 5, 2015
— Amazon Movie Reviews (@AmznMovieRevws) February 6, 2015
Once I was in a helicopter in Iraq with Dane Cook. Dane Cook started telling jokes, so I jumped out.
— John Lurie (@lurie_john) February 8, 2015
렛잇고가 아니고 렛미허그(안아줘)ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ 안아줘~ 안아줘~ ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ 안녕 난 엘사 너의 베이맥스얔ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ pic.twitter.com/M3IPGv43MK
— 난나 (@choinanna) February 3, 2015
brokeback mountain was such a good mov ie pic.twitter.com/j08SDKvISd
— *cries in spanish* (@pinkxchicana) February 6, 2015
— Amos Posner (@AmosPosner) February 5, 2015
WHEN YOU GO TO THE WRONG PART OF MADAGASCAR pic.twitter.com/pyjGKHKyuY
— D. (@CHIllDarnell) January 24, 2015
Feature Image: John Wick, Lionsgate