- It’s a sad week for horror movies as The Wrap reports Cary Fukunaga walks away from his adaptation of IT. There were rumored disputes over budget (initially clocked at $30 mil but lessened with budget cuts). No director or writer replacement has been announced though the most common fan choice since Fukanaga left the project has been The Babadook’s Jennifer Kent (New Line, give her your money).
Lots of news regarding galaxies. Some far, far away. Some in the distant future. Others in terribly offensive spin off movies.
- We all knew Andy Serkis was in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (the title has grown on me). Did we all just forget to ask who he was playing? With a photo by living legend Annie Leibovitz and interview by StarWars.com we can confirm Andy Serkis’ character name is… Supreme Leader Snoke. Snoke. Jesus Christ.
- Chris Pine will return to take audiences where no audiences have gone before in Star Trek Beyond next year, but according to Variety, he might also be co-starring in Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman movie as Steve Trevor. Steve Trevor is basically Wonder Woman’s Lois Lane. A literal romance for the ages. I can’t wait.
- Transformers: Age of Extinction is a serious contender for worst movie experience for an audience. Naturally, morbid curiosity made it a billion dollar movie and now we have confirmed a shared Transformers universe with spin offs and sequels in the works from writers of Ant-Man, creator of The Walking Dead, and more. God help us all via Deadline.
Superhero news because what is movie news without superhero news?
- THR has confirmed talks between Tilda Swinton and Marvel so she can play The Ancient One. It’s a weird choice given how the character is Tibetan mystic so I guess we’ll have to wait and see how this plays out (rumors had Morgan Freeman tapped at one point).
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was so bad that I fully believe it’s the reason Sean Connery retired. Variety reveals there is a reboot in the works. It can’t be any worse.
- Not entirely superhero news but in the same veign of pulp-adventure serials, Robert Rodriguez is onboard the Johnny Quest The script is being reworked from a Black List script with Terry Rossio co-writing with Rodriguez. Will it be good? There’s always hope.
Trailer of the Week
Tweets of the Week
— Nathan Jones (@MinMeLOL) May 27, 2015
After The Rock punches out the earthquake in the beginning what’s the rest of the movie about?
— Joseph Kahn (@JosephKahn) May 27, 2015
— Mike Monteiro (@monteiro) May 27, 2015
HARBINGER DOWN will be in theaters in the U.S. and Canada on August 7; DVD/VOD on September 1! Stay tuned for… http://t.co/fdFq0xAYhb
— Lance Henriksen (@lancehenriksen) May 27, 2015
It’s decided. Prisoner of Azkaban is the best #HarryPotter movie. I will accept no other arguments
— Stacy H (@SOHoward2012) May 26, 2015
I hope True Detective season 2 ends in a battle royale. last one left is the *true* detective. McAdams strangles Farrell with his bolo tie.
— Britt Hayes, Esq. (@MissBrittHayes) May 25, 2015
I heard FUKUNAGA wanted something classy and artful, like THE SHINING, and New Line wanted a more commercial IT movie. Yes… singular.
— Jeff Sneider (@TheInSneider) May 25, 2015
— Saladin Ahmed (@saladinahmed) May 20, 2015
There is nothing more beautiful than filmmaking in my mind. Nothing. A compelling story is all it takes to inspire millions
— Danny Tarantino (@DanielVMcCoy) May 27, 2015