- The Wrap reports Ava DuVernay, director of 2015’s most important film, Selma, is being courted by Marvel to direct one of their “diverse” properties in the pipeline for Phase 3. It’s got to be Captain Marvel or Black Panther. Either one would be a major win.
- Alex Garland, hot off his excellent directorial debut Ex Machina, has confirmed he has written a script for 28 Months Later. There is currently no director attached.
- THR reports Anne Hathaway will star in Colossal – a movie described as Transformers versus an Adaptation and Godzilla which meets Being John Malkovich. What the fuck. Give me 100 tickets.
- Nicolas Winding Refn’s next neon soaked film, Neon Demon, has some first images brought to you by twitchfilm.com. Everything is very crisp and saturated. For some reason Elle Fanning and Refn aren’t wearing shoes. I hope this isn’t a Quentin Tarantino thing.
- This Jem and the Holograms trailer is just the worst. It looks worse than a modern Disney Channel original movie. The ones a decade ago were gold – gold, I tell you! Can we scrap this and make it Refn’s next project?
- Collider revealed the next Planet of the Apes movie has a rumored title! War of the Planet of the Apes. It was leaked a while back but people presumed it was fanmade. It was. Unless the fan could see into the future? Hang on. This changes everything for the humans fight against our ape overlords.
- According to Variety, Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are going to star in EuropaCorp’s Pablo Escobar biopic, “Escobar.” The real question is will it live up to Vinny Chase’s Medellin.
- Deadline brings us the news of more unwanted remakes with another attempt at The Fugitive and we’re just not sure why.
And Luc Besson is directing a giant science fiction film called Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets based on a comic book (added to 100000 reading lists).
TRAILER OF THE WEEK
*distant chants* Crimson Peak! Crimson Peak! Watch the glorious but not scary trailer here!
TWEETS OF THE WEEK
Someone needs to call Pitch Perfect and let them know, this is the new face of feminism… pic.twitter.com/uf352aUJWX
— Ziggy (@mrjafri) May 14, 2015
Gotta love the “think pieces” from major papers on diversity w/ no mention of actual POC + women steeped in art-making and independence.
— Ava DuVernay (@AVAETC) May 14, 2015
Disney not packaging Black Widow with her motorcycle is like offering a “Power Loader Playset” with Hudson instead of Ripley. Dumb.
— Adam Frazier (@AdamFrazier) May 11, 2015
“Film critics hate everything.” (FURY ROAD receives praise, raves, huzzahs) “Man, film critics overhype everything …” #circleofstrife
— James Rocchi (@jamesrocchi) May 12, 2015
— Nicole 수정 (@nicole_soojung) May 11, 2015
a painting of Charlize Theron surfing on meninist tears
— Ben Mekler (@benmekler) May 13, 2015
How about a story about a movie so funny people literally laugh themselves to death? I’d read that. In fact, I should probably write that.
— Stephen King (@StephenKing) May 12, 2015
— Carol Ray Hartsell (@carolrhartsell) May 13, 2015